- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 1/2 pounds uncooked large shrimp, peeled, deveined
- 8 ounces tasso ham or andouille sausage, cut into 1/3-inch cubes
- 1 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 2 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/2 cup plus 1/3 cup heavy whipping cream, divided
- 1/2 tablespoon chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 1/2 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 cup quick-cooking grits
Melt 2 tablespoons butter in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Add shrimp; stir 1 minute. Using slotted spoon, transfer shrimp to bowl.
Add ham, all bell peppers, and garlic to skillet. Sauté until peppers begin to soften, about 3 minutes. Add wine. Boil until reduced by half, about 3 minutes. Add 1/2 cup cream, parsley, thyme, and shrimp with any accumulated juices.
Simmer until shrimp are just opaque in center and sauce is thick enough to coat spoon, about 3 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Meanwhile, bring 2 3/4 cups water to boil in heavy large saucepan over medium-high heat. Gradually whisk in grits; sprinkle with salt. Reduce heat to low and simmer until grits are tender, whisking often, about 6 minutes. Whisk in remaining 1/3 cup cream and 1 tablespoon butter; season grits to taste with salt and pepper.
Spoon warm grits into shallow bowls. Top with shrimp and sauce.